Revitalizing Teak Wood
Teak wood is commonly used for constructing houses and making furniture. Its popularity can be attributed to its ability to resist water and termites. On the other hand, Teak wood is faced with the disadvantages of being vulnerable and affected extreme weather temperatures. It is therefore paramount to maintain teak wood so that it maintains its natural glow.
Teak wood maintenance is achievable but the following instructions should be adhered to so as to achieve the perfect results.
To start with, ensure you have the right items before you commence on the procedure. The items are simple to get and these include; water, soap, clean cloth, painting brush and of course the teak oil.
I want to do this! What’s This?
Once you have all the items, then you can go ahead and follow the procedure outline below.
1. The first step will involve washing the teak wood thoroughly. Use soap and water to clean of all the dirt and eliminate any kind of oxidation that would be taking place.
2. Secondly, ensure that the wood dries out completely. Once you finish with the cleaning leave the wood out to dry for some time, probably a few hours.
3. Using sand paper, ensure that you sand the wood properly. This should be done once the wood is completely dry. Do not be very rough as you sand so as to avoid any damage. Make sure the grain is present as you sand. Once you finish the sanding process well, you will realize that the wood restores back its original color because the oxidation has been eliminated.
4. The dry cloth should be utilized to get rid of any remaining residue on the wood. Ensure that the cloth is soft enough.
5. Once the entire residue is eliminated, the next step will involve the application of the teak oil. This can be achieved by using a brush to apply the teak oil evenly on the wood. The teak oil enhances the wood color even more. There is no restriction on the number of coats of teak oil; you need to apply. The coats will vary according to the first color the wood had. Do not apply the coats simultaneously but rather give a time span of an hour between the applications of the coats.
6. Once you are satisfied with the coats you have applied, ensure that the wood is completely dry then go ahead and use a dry cloth to clean the wood and give it that perfect shine. After that you can be able to see the results of the process.
Note that teak wood is affected by sun and extreme temperatures and therefore it is not suitable outdoors and thus highly recommended in doors.